Friday, December 9, 2011

The Journey Begins

     My name is Benjamin Gallant and I graduated from the University of Ottawa in the Criminology program in December of 2009. Unfortunately for me it was only after I finished my schooling that I realized this would be the time when the real challenge began. The economy was crashing and all around Ottawa a collective clash was heard as windows of opportunity slammed shut. Government agencies and private companies tightened their belts in anticipation of the many difficult months to come. Like so many students in my program I figured that good grades combined with an invaluable student internship at a government agency would make me a lock to land a job fresh out of school. In short, I was stupid. Not a day goes by where I don't regret failing to work harder to find FSWEP placements (Federal Student Work Experience Program), summer internships, volunteering opportunities, and networking contacts. I thought if I just focused on my grades things would turn out just fine. It turns out that was a very bad idea.

     I've now been job hunting for almost two years with only a small degree of success. That being the fact that I've managed to keep myself at least partially employed and gain some experience working for the federal government. However, I just can't shake the feeling that I'm just not doing things right. Firing off one resume after another and hoping to win the lottery that is the online job boards has me wearing thin. I've been thinking to myself over the past few months that there has to be a better way. In the past few days I've gone out and bought a bunch of books that agree with how I'm feeling. This blog will be a journal of myself trying out those techniques and providing real feedback on what seems to work and what doesn't. I welcome any contribution of ideas, networking contacts, or assistance in finding a job.

Happy Hunting

No comments:

Post a Comment