Monday, December 12, 2011

Attitude is Key

I've read a significant amount about job hunting recently and almost every article that I've come across has at some point discussed attitude. The experts appear to have formed a consensus that it is an absolute must for job hunters to maintain a positive mental attitude. It's not uncommon or even hard to understand why many people get depressed during the search for employment. The process of applying for work is one of continuous rejection. It is very difficult mentally to fail over and over again and maintain the same level of dedication to a task. However it is very important to persevere through the hard times and remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel that perhaps the most important thing is to keep doing the things that make us happy. Most of us will be able to achieve this simply by remember to spend quality time with friends and family. One equally important notion is that it is essential to avoid interaction with those who only seek to commiserate. Nothing will bring down your mood faster than having to sit and listen to how hopeless the job hunting landscape appears. Another very good tip that I've read is to get out and volunteer. Job hunters can build excellent skills and experience by volunteering and as a bonus it feels great to contribute.

I am probably one of the largest hockey fans on the planet. I'm passionate about the sport and probably know far too much about it. However being able to lose myself in my passion for hockey allows me to take a mental break from all the challenges I'm currently encountering in my life. It's important to remember not to forget about the things that keep you up at night. The things you really genuinely care about. The work you would do for free if money wasn't an issue and someone gave you the opportunity.

I've known my whole life that for me that work would be in sport. I've always loved being active but furthermore I loved the positive emotions of empowerment that sports brought into my life. Sports bring together people from all walks of life to compete on a level playing field irregardless of background or family wealth. On the field everyone competes as equals and everyone deserves respect. In my time playing sports I learned how to build relationships, take constructive criticism, and work toward challenging goals. I learned to accept failure as just another bump on the road. I also learned to believe that if you aren't failing much you probably aren't challenging yourself enough. Real development takes hard work on weaknesses rather than just repeating the things we have already mastered. Sport has taught me many lessons in life and that is why I seek to give back through sport. I know that one day I would like to run a volunteer organization that helps youth engage in sport. I want others to have the opportunity to experience the joy of sport and learn the things I did.

So If you're getting down on your job hunt try to remember what you're passionate about and seek out an opportunity to engage with it. It will bring up your mood and you'll be reminded of what's most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment